Because we are leaving.
Because the light doesn't shine
at the same time
on the other side of the continent.
The week went too fast and too deep.
American girls don't know how to use the word love.
He believes our culture is crazy.
Because the salt in the ocean has
stained our skin
and because I can't resist licking it off
He squirms and smiles.
Because this is holiday
and we grow darker each day the sun tints our bodies
the color of lazy, summer love.
Each time I doubt he loves me
he turns to me with those eyes
-centuries old-
or slides his hands around my waist from behind
to nuzzle my neck and kiss my ear.
Because I don't think about his love
when I feel his eyes
and meet destiny in his glance.
Because your media is German
and you sing Californication.
Because Long Beach has a dirty ocean
and Germany has a clean Lake Constance.
And Europeans still believe in romance
and Europeans recognize romance
and he touches me nose-to-nose
kisses me, eyes closed, slow tongue and full lip
under a moonlit sky
while cradling my neck in his palm
and entwining his fingers in the tufts of my
red hair.
Because I'd never seen genuine beauty
in a boy -ever.
Because we meditate together,
he's unashamed of bad habits,
he teaches me dirty Oktoberfest songs,
because he shares,
and he asks me to have conversations.
Because he asks
and because he speaks.
Because 99% in love
is still more than I'd ever experienced before.
Because I let him in.
He likes to shop with me.
He is the best lover I've ever had.
Because he looks me in the eye.
Because dwelling on the future or the past
does no good for the present.
The price of gold is going up
but he wears a bangle
and the hemp bracelet I made him.
Because the music of Yann Tiersen breaks my heart.
Opportunity knocked on my door
and I let it in to dance with for a while
because I made a wish
a thousand times
and each time it grew
until
I wrote it down
cast it to the winds
and he was what returned to me.
Because I needed to learn how to love.
Because I speak german with a french accent.
Because saying 'I love you' after a week
is crazy
naiive
or predestined.
Because I'm included in his thoughts.
His tongue is long
and his kisses taste smoother when he drinks tequila.
Because Red Hot Chili Peppers
made Californians cool.
Because it is hard to say goodbye
so we speak in tongues
and languages
foreign, forgotten and ancient
as our hearts beat out flashing signals
because there's only one day left
and a cafe is friendly
and I can't help but laugh
because
to be sad on our last day
would lose it forever.
Because I would wait to lick the sweat
from his chest a year, 'til he returns.
Because I siezed the days we had together,
peaceful in Encinitas,
we can walk
barefoot in the streets
at night.
There are fish in the sea
and crabs in the sand
and we feel alive
and natural.
Seasalt is coating our bodies.
Because we aren't home
but we belong.
Because we don't always say words
and a part of my consciousness
understands what he says in german.
Because we feed eachother cheesecake
in a hookahbar
with tribal lounge music
good friends, atmosphere,
when we're only seventeen
and very aged.
Because 'kinky' sounds funny to say.
Because we found the winning position.
Because I'm moving to Europe for my own life to continue.
I may find him there
but I won't follow him;
I will only love him as deeply as I can.
Because we don't distance ourselves;
miles will do that for us.
I believe in strong connections.
I'm not overanalyzing,
I'm just letting be.
Because the check-list has been filled with no exception,
and the risk of falling in love is nothing
compared to the love itself.
A year goes by fast.
The future is undetermined.
Right now is 'wunderbar'.
I listen to the wind.
'Coincidence' is an excuse -not
an explanation.
Because I'm not looking a gift-horse in the mouth.
Because the mouth would still be beautiful.
Because we must leave,
though, I'll never lose this place
and tomorrow I'll still smile,
next year is not too soon.
Sensual was explained to me
by use of fingertips.
Because I love you
and I'll never forget.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment